Monday, February 23, 2009

REEL GOLF


My worlds collide. Golf Tourney.  Oscar Night.

Second tourney of the year for The Golf Channel.  The Babe course at Industry Hills. Didn't do so hot in the first.  Tied for 4th Place and played poorly.  Wanted to play better.  

Big day in the Film business, my day job.  Oscar Night.  Good day for the rags to riches Slumdog Millionaire.  And beating the odds.  Other than the filmmakers, nobody believed in this movie, when the script made the rounds.  In my quest to eventually play professional golf, I can sympathize with the underdog.  Is there a category beneath underdog, I wonder? 

Started off fine, tee shot down the middle.  Then proceeded to skull my pitching wedge into the back bunker.  Did sink 5 footer to get up and down.  Same drill on next hole.  Hit fairway.  Miss green. Chip up and sink the putt. Starting to feel good about having green in my backyard.  Short game is better.  Feeling like this is going to be a day to remember.  

Then tension mounts, on the unfair 3rd hole.  Nice drive of 220 leaves you 150 navigating through and/or over family of palm trees -  to back pin 10 paces from a lake!  Couldn't go left and play safe.  No room.  Palm trees there too.  Smooth 8 but not good enough. Wet.  Gotta then carry water on 4th shot so I go uphill past pin.  Three more strokes before I'm in.  7! Triple!

But Slumdog didn't pack it in when nobody wanted their little movie.  They believed and pushed forward.  I had to find some inspiration, right?  Took a bogie on the next, but then regrouped with a few pars. 




In a fun twist of fate, I found myself staring down that same lake, only now it's guarding right side of green. I had pulled a drive and had to chip out to 50 yards.  Played safe into green, left of pin and water, but had a chance for par...And with the lake in the background, I drained the 12 footer for par! Felt like payback. 

Had a few more misses coming down the homestretch, but was overall pleased with the way I played.  I hung in there, proved I can get up and down and finally hit some good irons.

I didn't win but had a great time and took managed to eek out 3rd Place with an 85.  Played better than score says.  Three bad holes, but I had 8 one putts!  There be the silver lining.

And Slumdog Millionaire wins 8 Oscars.  Chalk one up for the Underdog.

 






No comments: